SS "Zaporizhzhia NPP"
Start of construction – 1979
Start-up of unit 1 – 1984
Number of power units – 6 Reactor type – VVER-1000
Total capacity – 6000 MW NPP
Satellite town – Energodar, Zaporizhzhia region
Zaporizhzhia NPP is the largest nuclear power plant not only in Ukraine, but also in Europe. It is located in the steppe zone of Ukraine, on the bank of the Kakhovka water reservoir. The decision on its construction was taken in 1977. 1980 was the start of stepwise construction of the plant power units. In the period from 1984 to 1987 four power units had been put into operation. Unit 5 was started up in 1989 and unit 6 – in 1995.
Zaporizhzhia NPP is a state-of-the-art high-tech enterprise, a powerful electricity supplier in Ukraine. The plant generates 40-42 billion kWh which accounts for one fifth of the average annual electricity production in Ukraine and for almost 47% of electricity generated by Ukrainian NPPs.
ZNPP was the first among Ukrainian nuclear power plants with VVER design reactors to construct an on-site spent fuel dry storage facility (SFDSF). The facility was put into commercial operation on August 10, 2004. The design capacity of the SFDSF is 380 casks intended to store all spent fuel assemblies to be generated within the overall plant service life. The SFDSF is the first nuclear facility to have passed all the design review and approval stages required by the national nuclear legislation of Ukraine.
ZNPP was the first in the CIS to introduce the Information and Measuring System «Kiltze», intended for continuous radiation monitoring of the nuclear power plant industrial site, the sanitary protection and 30-kilometers radiation control zones.
In 2008, as estimated by WANO Moscow Center, ZNPP was recognized as the best among the NPPs affiliated with the Moscow Center for the eleven widely-accepted performance indicators. The expert review mission invited within the EU-IAEA-Ukraine memorandum and intended to evaluate the safety of Ukraine's power units reaffirmed high levels of safety.